While buying sports items, it is necessary to consider all the criteria and essential details. There are many varieties in each item that are specifically prepared to fit certain game types and players. To get your game correct initially, it is better to look at all these sub-points that will help you select the best item that is fit for your level and aid you in saving money from getting wasted.
For beginners or children– White dot ball/ single blue dot ball is made for beginners due to higher bounce. It has 40% more bounce than the ball for advanced players, which makes players confident in their game as they can give more hang time. There is no need to warm up the ball before beginning the game.
For intermediates– It bounces more than 10% more than the Prime. The refined players should use this ball. It is suitable for cold weather conditions.
For advanced level– To play with this level of ball, there is a great technique requirement, and both players must be good in their gameplay.
The squash court’s temperature is essential when selecting the right ball, as it can affect the game.
Low temperature: Go for a ball that bounces much higher.
Higher temperature: When it is hotter, balls have a low bounce.
The material used in squash ball
It is better to know the basics and the game’s elements down to the T to understand better the sport you will be playing.
The balls are composed of raw butyl rubber, and a mixture of natural and synthetic materials is added. The ball is empty from the inside, more towards the hollow side, and the air that is present inside works as an absorbent of energy converted into heat. This process makes the rubber expand more which makes it bouncier. One should know this, as the squash ball should be warmed up to bounce.
Choosing the Right Squash Ball
Choosing the ball must be according to a player’s level of game and expertise. For beginners, it is always better to start from ground level and not directly skip on the upper ones, as that can ruin the fundamentals of the game, which can have a bad impact in the future.
Online websites are the best source for buying this equipment as they give ample knowledge and information on the ball they sell. It will be easier to know the ball’s performance by reading through these details to know if the ball is better for your style.
Educational videos on various internet platforms can give a fair understanding and personalized opinions on which ball to choose while listening to the reviews given by game experts.
If you are visiting a store, ask the salesperson to help you choose the ball, as they have deep knowledge and hands-on experience in knowing which ball will suit your game the best.
What are the different squash ball types?
If you have started developing a new interest in squash and are looking forward to purchasing a squash ball, then it can be done by looking at the different symbols displayed on it.
Various colours on the ball mean a difference in bounce, and the temperature can also affect it.
- Blue Single Dot: This is the squash ball for beginners. It is the ideal choice for those who have just started in this game because it has the highest time of hanging in the air compared to any other ball. Blue single dot allows players to enjoy rallies and get comfortable with the game.
- Red Single Dot: This is highly used and is fit for intermediate players. It has the quality of good bounce as the diameter is larger. One can use this ball to develop their skills and reach a higher level because of good hanging time.
- Yellow Single Dot: Club or semi-pro players use this squash ball, a fit choice in cool places. The hanging time of this is more than Double dot type.
- Yellow Double Dot: Professionals in this game who have mastered their skills use this type, and they can be commonly seen in the squash circuit. The qualities of this ball that makes it the most favourable choice are that it is consistent and it sustains games that have hard-hitting, which aids in maintaining the ideal temperature for better performance in the game.
- White ball: This should be only used in the glass courts. It is more like yellow double dot balls in its performance. It is used in glass courts so that there is more visibility of it in the court.
Specifications of a squash ball
Diameter– It is measured perpendicular to the seam. The diameter ranges between 39.5mm to 40.5mm.
Weight- Ranges between 23-25 grams.
Changing of the ball– There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to changing the ball. If you feel that the ball has worn off as it starts looking shinier and skidding, then it is a sign that the ball needs to be changed. This occurs when the ball is used for more than 8-10 hours of playing. If there are no such signs, the ball is good to go.
In professional matches, a ball change is allowed after every two games.
Package- These balls are sold individually, in a tube, a 3-pack, and a box. If you go for a single ball, it is given in a small cardboard box; these are more for beginners. For Pro and Competitive matches, the balls are bought in tubes containing three balls. Tubes are much more preferred than individual ones because they are used to store the balls in an orderly way which keeps them protected from any harm and slows down the process of wear and tear. It is also clean and handy to carry in the racket bag. A box contains 12 individually packed balls.
Best Brands to buy Squash Balls
While buying these squash balls, it is always better to go for a well-known brand to get your hands on the best quality product. A few of them are listed down below with their features and positives.
This brand has a well-set reputation. They are known to produce the largest number of squash balls in the entire globe. The famous ball most commonly used is the DUNLOP PRO YELLOW DOUBLE Dot ball. As white squash balls were mentioned above that were only used in glass courts, this brand was the first to develop them, including the Red, Yellow, and Blue.
- Dunlop Pro is officially used by World Squash Federation (WSF), the Women’s International Squash Players Association, and Professional Squash Association (PSA). ● It is known to give a steady performance that will aid players in engaging in powerful and decent gameplay.
- They produce 7 types of squash balls that fit every game.
This brand is developing a good name in the market after they have come up with great sets of rackets. It is a sports brand that is based in the UK. Their products are renowned worldwide because of the quality of goods that they supply. These balls are made up of excellent materials; the control is high-level and durable.
- It is easy to recognize the different types as different colours on the ball mark them.
- These balls are created out of special rubber material, which changes the entire gameplay as it makes it easier to use.
They are known to create balls that give an ulterior game experience by being extra bouncy, having fast speed, and great durability. It has a quick pace.
- Squash players from any level can use balls made by this company. ● The World Squash specifications approve it because of the material used to make this which makes the gameplay quite effective and comfortable while using it on the court.
This company has lots of experience as it was made in 1979. It now only makes squash equipment, which gives it an exclusive reputation. They produce squash racquets, strings, balls, grips, bags, and more. The speed of the ball is known to be steady, while the bounce is quite consistent. Excellent for experienced players in the game.
- It comes with two balls in a pack.
- Expert players can use this to see a change in their game as it is made up of ulterior quality.
- This company sells squash balls made by the ex-world number one player Thierry Lincou.
With this guide, buy the optimum squash ball to improve your game. This will also help you to put your money into the right equipment and save a lot of time by not playing with the wrong ball, which can ruin the entire skill. With the right ball choice for every player and details about the squash ball, we hope there are no doubts left in your ball to select the right one.